Friday, June 18, 2010

Daisy Wedding Cake

Wow, all I can say is I’m glad that’s over! Saturday was WAAAAY too hot and humid to be putting together a wedding cake in a non-air conditioned home. Yes, a few things were my fault but this was THE most stressful cake I have done. First of all I should not have agreed to donate a cake for our local Community Days event on the same weekend. And I don’t end up donating one cake but TWO! But that’s a story for another time.

As you saw the daisies were complete a week early, thank goodness. All I had to do was bake the cake, fill the layers, frost with buttercream, cover with fondant and add the flowers. Sounds simple right?

I finished baking the cakes Friday night. The last set of cakes, 2 9-inch rounds calls for 5 ½ cups of batter each. I know one white cake mix recipe makes 4 cups of batter. So I make 3 batches all together for 12 cups and figure if I split them the extra ½ cup in each should be OK. The pans don’t look overfull as I put them into the oven. After about 15-20 minutes I smell it! One of the pans has overflowed and is dripping all over the heating element and bottom of my oven. Great. I’ll admit it has happened before, my fault. I throw a cookie sheet under the cakes and continue to let them cook. Shortly thereafter I check on the cakes and THERE’S A FIRE IN MY OVEN! And I mean flames! The batter that had dripped on the bottom of my oven caught on fire. So I take everything out, use some metal tongs to try to break up the spill and put out the fire. At this point it’s 10:30 Friday night. The cakes go back in and finish cooking around 11pm.

Saturday morning, Doug goes into work and I start leveling, filling and crumb coating my cakes. I level the 9” cakes first and taste the part I remove. Thankfully it does NOT taste burnt at all and I don’t have to rebake. It wasn’t the cake itself that burnt but I wasn’t sure if the fire would have added any off taste to the cakes. By 11am I have finished the 6”, 9” and 12” rounds and a 9”x13” kitchen cake. I decide to put the cakes in the refrigerator and save the fondant and decorating until at least dinner time, when it will (hopefully) be cooler.

About 5pm I decide I should get started again. I set up a huge fan blowing into the kitchen and get started rolling out the fondant. Let’s start with the 12” and work down from there. The fondant cracks on the cake and I cannot repair it to save my life. I remove the fondant to reroll and try again but it is SO hot and humid that the buttercream sticks to the fondant and not the cake. I refrost the cake, put it back into the refrigerator, and run to the store for another box of fondant. I already have two but if things keep going the way they are I better make sure I have enough.

OK, back from the store. This time I start with the 9”….perfect! The 12”… again… Perfect! The 6”…OK a small crack at the top edge of the cake. Try to fix, shortening, glycerine, powdered sugar, ARGH! I remove the fondant to start again and of course all the buttercream comes off. Refrost and try again. This time there is a small section of “elephant skin” but it’s OK. Going back and trying to smooth the fondant with SOFT frosting underneath is not the easiest thing to do (my fault). Now I know, STIFF frosting when the weather is warm.

Not that it was anywhere near this quick, but I stacked the cakes, added a teal border along the bottom of each tier and started adding daisies. I am always amazed at the difference it makes when I start adding the decorations. Some fussing here and there and the daisies are done. And I only broke 7 in the process. I see a daisy cake for someone in the near future because I have so many left. I take some photos and I’m done for the night.

It’s 10pm and I know where my cake is. It’s in the much cooler finished basement where it spends the night before the 90 minute drive in the morning. Normally my cakes go into the refrigerator at night so the frosting can firm up and the cake is more stable for transport, but fondant doesn’t like the moist refrigerator and it will sweat after being removed from the cold refrigerator. So all I could do was hope the basement was cool enough to keep everything in place.

Couldn’t sleep all night. I just knew the small section of elephant skin on the top edge was going to crack under the weight of itself and I would wake up to half of the top tier on the floor. The cake gods must have been smiling down on me because, luckily, that did not happen. There was a small crack on the top edge but it was not progressing and it was situated at the back of the cake, so hopefully it would be OK.

I pack up EVERYTHING I could possible need to repair most cake mishaps during transport, except extra cake. We load the cake in the car and we are off. What would I do without Doug? That is one heavy cake!

I am nauseas the entire trip. What will I do if something happens? How will I fix it? 90 minutes, who’s crazy idea was it to agree to delivery 90 minutes away? I know that the way I put the cake together it is very stable. And if something does happen it would likely be fixable. But this is someone’s wedding! I can’t give them a messed up cake! This stress is killing me.

Finally we make it to the venue and set up the cake. I am happy with the way it looks.

One thing I don’t like about weddings is that I just drop off the cake before the event and never get to see the bride and grooms reaction. A few days later the father of the bride tells me “It was perfect. It looked beautiful and was delicious too!” Couldn’t have asked for a better ending.

20100612 P6120088

Congratulations Liz and Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment